Monday, September 27, 2010

Sentai Influences I See in RPM

In a post about a month and a half ago, I talked about various influences that certain hollywood movies as well as PR and Sentai seasons had on RPM. When taking a closer look, many of RPM's characters are Sentai like. It's clear that writer Eddie Guzelian had seen his fair share of Sentai before producing RPM, or perhaps it's just a coincidence. Anyways, here are some of the influences I see.

Photobucket
Photobucket

Perhaps Dillon is a tribute to Gai (Black Condor, Jetman). Besides both of them being black rangers, Dillon, like Gai, is the brooding, rebel bad boy of the group. Also like Gai, Dillon has a rivalry with the red ranger, often mocking him.



Photobucket

Photobucket

As I've mentioned before, Summer has practically the same back story as Ran, GekiYellow. Their personalities are pretty much the same as well.

Photobucket

Photobucket

And last but certainly not least, the use of hyperactive, comic relief rangers, which Sentai loves to use a lot but is rarely seen in Power Rangers. Ziggy is similar to his counterpart Hanto in terms of personality, but he's even funnier thanks to some great acting. In fact, I think Ziggy is the funniest ranger ever in Power Rangers.

Gem and Gemma are very hyperactive, and finish each other's sentences (perhaps a wink at Nai and Mare). They're the complete opposite of their Sentai counterparts, Miu and Hiroto. Gem and Gemma get criticized by PR and Sentai fans alike for their hyperactiveness. Admittedly, they can be annoying, especially the first four or five episodes they appear in. Afterwards, they're toned down a bit and are tolerable. Personally, I like their Go-Onger counterparts better, but at the same time I think some of the criticism that Gem and Gemma receive (especially from Sentai fans, which I won't go into) is ridiculous since they're no different than how Sentai portrays some of its own characters, like Ban, Jan, Kai, Sousuke, and Genta.

7 comments:

  1. Nice post. ^__^

    Also, it's okay to compare Summer to Ran. Since you only bring it up when you need to. It's not like every time you mention Summer you HAVE to compare her to Ran. So far, you're doing fine, so there's no need to make this the last time and box yourself in. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks FL. I decided I won't stop myself from comparing Summer to Ran if I feel like I have to. And good job with the ratings. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, I have to admit. The entire cast reminded me of the X-Men. Scott was Scott Summers (Cyclops). Flynn was Beast (They both were physically strong and smart). Summer was Jean Grey (The characters were also exactly alike, especially their romantic disposition between Scott/Logan or Scott/Dillon). Ziggy reminded me of Morph. Dillon was Logan (Wolverine). Gem and Gemma were the only ones that were opposites of their Sentai counterparts Hiroto and Miu. To me, they were almost like the Go-ongers but way smarter and more useful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to say thank you to Dr Okosun for the good thing he has done for
    me,though am not sure if this is the best forum to show my joy and
    happiness for what he has done for me but i can't hide my happiness and my
    Joy so i have to share it with the world.My marriage got crashed about two
    years ago and i tried all i could within my powers to restore it but to no
    avail. i saw different post and testimonies about the good things Dr Okosun
    has been doing so i decided to give it a try. Though he is always a busy
    man but when he responded back to my email, he gave me 48 hours for my
    marriage to be restored and just like he said my marriage was restored,
    since then I am happy and i am living happily in my marriage. I am so
    grateful to Dr Okosun you can always contact him here: {
    Okosunspelltemple33@gmail.com } or u can send him a message via WhatsApp
    +2348133974847

    ReplyDelete
  5. Greatest thanks to Dr Eromosele for his herbal drugs that he prepared for me and when i start using it in just 2weeks i was completely cured and that ended my HERPES SIMPLEX 1&2 DISEASE i am so happy and grateful to Dr Eromosele . after reading about him on a testimony of Jason Cash on a blogger. I knew suddenly Dr Eromosele was the right Doctor to cure my HERPES SIMPLEX 1&2 DISEASE. I discuss with Dr Eromosele and he prepared a herbal medicine for me and when it got sent to me in South Korean. I used the herbal medicine and 2weeks and i went to check up again. after 15years of suffering from HERPES SIMPLEX 1&2 at last i am smiling once again. Dr Eromosele also has remedy to others disease like COLD SORES, HIV/AIDS, DIABETES, CANCER, HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE AND MANY MORE. I oblige everyone to contact this powerful herbalist Dr Eromosele and be free from your suffering. contact his WhatsApp line: +2348075799423 or his Email:dreromosele156@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is a great herbal man called Dr voodoo who can cure Hepatitis B virus and other deadly diseases with the use of natural herbs to cure Hepatitis B virus problems. He is from Africa and he is a great doctor and he can also cure you as well if you are have the problem And other deadly disease and here is email address voodoospelltemple66@gmail.com or Whatsapp +2348140120719 HERPES CURE,CANCER CURE,HIV/AIDS CURE,HPV CURE

    ReplyDelete
  7. I’m just too happy that everything is in place for me now. I would gladly recommend the use of spell to any one going through marriage problems and want to put an end to it by emailing Dr KUTA through drkutaherbalcenter@gmail.com and that was where I got the help to restore my marriage. Whatsapp +2349150310901

    ReplyDelete