Monday, September 27, 2010

Sentai Influences I See in RPM

In a post about a month and a half ago, I talked about various influences that certain hollywood movies as well as PR and Sentai seasons had on RPM. When taking a closer look, many of RPM's characters are Sentai like. It's clear that writer Eddie Guzelian had seen his fair share of Sentai before producing RPM, or perhaps it's just a coincidence. Anyways, here are some of the influences I see.

Photobucket
Photobucket

Perhaps Dillon is a tribute to Gai (Black Condor, Jetman). Besides both of them being black rangers, Dillon, like Gai, is the brooding, rebel bad boy of the group. Also like Gai, Dillon has a rivalry with the red ranger, often mocking him.



Photobucket

Photobucket

As I've mentioned before, Summer has practically the same back story as Ran, GekiYellow. Their personalities are pretty much the same as well.

Photobucket

Photobucket

And last but certainly not least, the use of hyperactive, comic relief rangers, which Sentai loves to use a lot but is rarely seen in Power Rangers. Ziggy is similar to his counterpart Hanto in terms of personality, but he's even funnier thanks to some great acting. In fact, I think Ziggy is the funniest ranger ever in Power Rangers.

Gem and Gemma are very hyperactive, and finish each other's sentences (perhaps a wink at Nai and Mare). They're the complete opposite of their Sentai counterparts, Miu and Hiroto. Gem and Gemma get criticized by PR and Sentai fans alike for their hyperactiveness. Admittedly, they can be annoying, especially the first four or five episodes they appear in. Afterwards, they're toned down a bit and are tolerable. Personally, I like their Go-Onger counterparts better, but at the same time I think some of the criticism that Gem and Gemma receive (especially from Sentai fans, which I won't go into) is ridiculous since they're no different than how Sentai portrays some of its own characters, like Ban, Jan, Kai, Sousuke, and Genta.

3 comments:

  1. Nice post. ^__^

    Also, it's okay to compare Summer to Ran. Since you only bring it up when you need to. It's not like every time you mention Summer you HAVE to compare her to Ran. So far, you're doing fine, so there's no need to make this the last time and box yourself in. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks FL. I decided I won't stop myself from comparing Summer to Ran if I feel like I have to. And good job with the ratings. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, I have to admit. The entire cast reminded me of the X-Men. Scott was Scott Summers (Cyclops). Flynn was Beast (They both were physically strong and smart). Summer was Jean Grey (The characters were also exactly alike, especially their romantic disposition between Scott/Logan or Scott/Dillon). Ziggy reminded me of Morph. Dillon was Logan (Wolverine). Gem and Gemma were the only ones that were opposites of their Sentai counterparts Hiroto and Miu. To me, they were almost like the Go-ongers but way smarter and more useful.

    ReplyDelete